Monday 27 January 2014

Support Mental Health Awareness

     So tomorrow Bell (In Canada) is doing a thing to support mental health awareness and to reduce stigma.  I'm not sure how that works internationally but for each tweet using the #BellLetsTalk hashtag, or Facebook share of their image with generate a five cent donation to Canadian mental health initiatives.

     More information can be found here.  I mention this only because there is a somewhat significant portion of views generated from CA so I thought I would spread the knowledge.

     I also found their End The Stigma page interesting.  Though the figures and statistics are for Canada, I would imagine they hold fairly close to US figures.  I found some of the statements quite shocking, and considering Canada is considered to be far more progressive than the US I shudder to think what they may be like.  For instance "Only 49% of Canadians said they would socialize with a friend who has a serious mental illness."  --Canadian Medical Association


     That number may be higher in the US, and from what I’ve experienced, likely is. Why can't the US do something like this to help raise awareness?  Or do they and I've just somehow missed it?

     At any rate, we should show some solidarity for our brothers to the north who suffer, or know those who suffer and support them tomorrow.   I know I will.
--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment