Monday 2 March 2015

Reflections on being bipolar (Part II, depression).



     This is a continued discussion on bipolar and my experiences with it.  This time I take a look at the opposite and discuss my depressive episodes.

     While my manic/hypomanic episodes generally last only a few weeks my depressive moods may last for significantly longer.  Though there were extenuating circumstances, the longest I can remember was nearly six months.  I get withdrawn and lethargic, sleeping the day away.  Sometimes it even gets to the point where I can’t even bring myself to get out of bed or shower, or do any of the things that need to be done around the house.  Even watching television is too much work.

     Though they do indeed last longer than my other swing it genuinely feels as though it is never going to end and I will feel that way forever.  I lose interest in things I enjoy and get very introspective.  This, coupled with my social anxiety disorder, makes it very hard for me to actually force myself to get out of the house.  I constantly worry that someone I know will see me and ask me how I’m doing and I will have to lie to them.  I also worry that someone would knock at the door and I would be forced to answer it.

     Due to my social anxiety, I have a hard time saying “no,” “no thanks,” or anything else, when trying to “get rid of” people who want something.  This means I have to listen to their entire speech and pretend to be interested, when the last thing I care about is what they are peddling.

     I isolate when I am depressed, as is very common, and this leads to even more depressive thoughts and feelings.  Again, as stated before I have a hard time even realizing that I am behaving any differently than “normal” and have a very hard time identifying what “normal” even is for me.

     Sometimes the depressive symptoms actually manifest as physical pain for me.  I ache all over, and have specific muscle pains as well as the increased tension in my neck and back that begins to become unbearable after a while.  I tend to focus internally and make things about “me.”  Innocent comments made have a sinister hidden meaning towards me.  My problems seem larger than others, I feel as though other people just don’t understand how “bad” my problems really are.

     Of course, I never actually voice those opinions, and keep them to myself allowing the problems to fester and boil until I have a sort of breakdown.  I also tend to get more emotional, crying at inappropriate times for inappropriate reasons, again, never letting that show.  I realize when I am doing well how poorly I was doing at the while depressed, but sometimes it is hard to see just how depressed I really am.

     For me, suicidal thoughts are an interesting notion as it pertains to depressive moods.  There is a point where the suicidal thoughts themselves are of little consequence, I simply don’t have the energy to be bothered to actually go through with the action itself.  It is when I am feeling somewhat better, but still very depressed, that I am a real danger to myself.  That is, I’m having the suicidal thoughts and I have the will to go through with it.  I have managed to fight through those moments fairly successfully.

     I still worry, from time to time, that I may step in front of heavy traffic or a subway train on nothing more than a whim.  This is frightening for both me, and those that love me.  I cannot even imagine what it must be like for them to worry about me in such a way.

     Again, I am not an expert in the field, nor am I attempting to say I am qualified to diagnose anyone with anything.  These are my experiences with the depressive side of bipolar and may differ from either yours or those of one you love.  If you are experiencing these symptoms and think you may be depressed, it is a serious matter and you should speak with your doctor about it as soon as possible.

     So, how do you cope with being depressed?  What are your experiences with depression?  Please share in the comments below.

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment