Thursday 5 March 2015

The importance of community.



     It can be hard to be a part of a community sometimes.  I know I have struggled with the dichotomy of wanting to be left alone and craving social interaction.  Community comes in many forms, be it family, friends, coworkers, or any group of people.  We are unwittingly parts of groups and communities, for instance we are all members of the human race.  I tend to think of it like a tree trunk, each ring getting closer to the centre (which would signify the self).  The reason I mention this is, like it or not, we are all part of some form of community; participating in it is, however, our choice.

     I strongly feel that being part of some sort of community is very important to mental health.  It provides a sense of support and understanding that many of us feel we are missing.  I know that I often worry that those in my various communities are silently (or maybe not-so-silently) judging me.  I think that is why we surround ourselves with those similar to us.

     I found great comfort in finding a community of people who also live with mental health conditions.  I found this support through psychosocial rehabilitation, also known as psychiatric rehabilitation, or psych rehab.  I highly recommend those individuals seeking increased mental stability, and social skills, as well finding a community that truly understands what it is like to live with such conditions to seek out a psych rehab location.

     Do not be put off by the name; the actual setting is more like a support group or clubhouse.

     The group I was a member of was fairly small and tight knit.  The early mornings were laid back; coffee and catching up on what was going on in everyone’s life since the last time they were there.  The mid mornings were a bit more structured, usually consisting of some sort of lesson.  This lesson could be anything from medication education, coping skills, symptom management, or any other topic that could prove useful.  The afternoons consisted of board or card games, crafting, or hands-on work that may include computer skills.

     We had a newsletter that was supposed to come out quarterly, though that depended on who was willing to work on it for what length of time.  The group gave support for individuals and members, as well as staff, worked with individuals to strengthen their shortcomings while reinforcing strengths.  Psych rehab is recovery focused; strongly believing that people with mental health issues can return to the world as fully functioning members.

     While the group I was a member of did not have weekend or evening activities, many do.  Also, let it be known that you do not have to be disabled or anything of that nature to be a member, nor are you pressured into participating with conversation.  I recall one member that was incredibly quiet and isolated and slowly opened up and became quite the talker.  In retrospect, that describes how I was at first as well.

     Psych rehab may not be for everyone, but it is an avenue that certainly worked for me.  It has allowed me to become more comfortable with the concept of work, making friends, and becoming part of other communities.  It gave me confidence; it showed me that others value my input and genuinely like me for who I am.  I am regularly in contact with many of the members of the group even a year after leaving.

     The centre made me realize just how important being a part of a community really is; even if that community is only a handful of people.  It allows others to keep tabs on your well being when you are unable to.  Perhaps more selfishly it allows for a memetic legacy of sorts.  You impact those around you, remember them, and pass along stories to others; meanwhile they remember you and pass along stories of you to others.  It is by this that we affect change in the world.

     What communities do you belong to?  How do you feel you “fit in” in the world?  Drop your thoughts in the comments below.

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment