Tuesday 3 March 2015

Reflections on having social anxiety disorder.



     On top of bipolar I also have social anxiety disorder.  I would like to think that my case is much more mild than most, however it still greatly affects my life.  Social anxiety disorder is also known as social phobia and it can strike anyone.  People like to think of those sufferers as just being shy or introverted, but the reality of it is far worse than that.  Many, including myself, worry about everything we say or have said.  Often those who live with this type of anxiety practice what we are going to say or do many times before actually doing it.

     I know I try to “predict” how a conversation is going to go.  I often guess at what someone is going to say before they say it so I can work on how I would respond.  I am often wrong and it leaves me in an awkward situation where I have no idea how I am supposed to respond.  This leads to one of two things, either I don’t say anything, or I say what I perceive as the “wrong thing.”  Both of these are problematic.  If I don’t say anything I assume people with think I am smug or that I am uninteresting.  These feed into issues of self-worth and confidence.  If I say the so-called wrong thing, I call myself stupid for saying it.

     If I am not trying to predict the conversation then I simply trip over my words.  My mouth works faster than my brain can edit and something strange comes out, if anything at all.  Again, these are my perceptions of how I sound and feed into a sort of depressive mood where I “beat myself up.”  It is often the case that social anxiety and depression occur within the same person.

      My other problem is, perhaps, smug.  I simply don’t care what someone else is actually saying.  I don’t mean if they are saying something important or interesting, I mean when a stranger on the bus starts talking about the weather.  I don’t care.  I don’t understand so-called small talk.  It confuses me beyond belief.  People rarely say what they mean, they rarely say anything important, but in order to fit in with society you have to play the social game.

     I have often asked others, many in mental health professions, what the purpose of small talk is and they have no answer except that it leads to other conversations.  I don’t understand why people can’t just start with real conversation, or at least enjoy the silence.  If you jump right to the “meat” of a conversation before it is appropriate you are considered to have committed a faux pas.

     Another problem that I know I have is not answering questions correctly.  I don’t mean factually correct, I mean adhering to the letter of a question not the spirit of it.  For instance if you ask me how my day went there is a huge chance you will get the answer “fine,” and that’s it.  I have been informed that the spirit of that particular question is actually a series of implied questions such as “did anything interesting happen?”  “How are you feeling after your day?  (How is your mood today?)”  “What happened in general during your day?”  “Why did your day go the way it did?”

     I rarely answer my phone, even if it is my therapist confirming my appointment, and just wait and check my messages.  This is similar to how I deal with knocks at my door.  I tend to not answer, or oddly enough, I feel obligated to answer and listen to what the solicitor has to say to the fullest and then feel guilty about saying no.

     Facets of social anxiety make it hard for me to say no.  I feel that if I say no, or voice a contrary opinion I won’t be liked.  Being liked is very important; even though I like to say that I don’t care what people think about me, if I know they don’t like me it does hurt.

     I used to be far worse than I am now.  Since moving to Toronto I have been seeing a CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) therapist.  There I have started to learn to live in the moment and try not to predict how a conversation is going to go.  I am also learning to be more assertive and to stand up for myself.  I’ve learned about separating thoughts from feelings, and many other useful tools.

     While CBT may not be for everyone, it has certainly helped me.

     You are more than welcome to share your thoughts and/or experiences on social anxiety disorder in the comments below.

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment