Wednesday 4 March 2015

Coping with mental health conditions.



     Today I want to talk about coping with mental health issues, or at least how I cope with them.

     I have said that it is a difficult path, but living with bipolar and social anxiety disorder is really no different than living with any other major health concern.  There are medications to take, things to consider in diet and exercise, as well as knowing your own personal limitations.  I am lucky; I only have to take two medications once daily in the morning.  This makes it a fairly simple affair.  When I’m not being overly silly and doing something like feeling as though I no longer need the 
medication, that is.

     I know to avoid caffeine and excessive amounts of sugar; I know to eat a balanced diet.  I know to walk to the subway instead of taking a bus as often as I can to get a little bit of exercise (even if it is really cold at the moment).  I try to get some social interaction every day in the form of my volunteer position, I am lucky enough to be around people I consider good friends while I am there.  I try to force myself to get out of the house every day for a least a little bit to get fresh air and a change of scenery.

     I am also aware of my limitations and try to take them into consideration as best as I can.  I know I don’t like being around people for extended periods of time.  I used to wear headphones the minute I walked out my apartment door and kept them in for as long as possible to avoid any contact with the outside world.  That was my comfort level, but I challenged that and now I only wear my headphones about one-half to two-thirds the time I usually do, and some days I even go without wearing them at all.  Knowing your limitations is important, but not allowing them to limit you is also important, perhaps even more so.

    I also know I function best within the constraints of a schedule.  Luckily I am gone for most of the day so I do not have to worry about filling my day as I used to.  I know that when I get home I need to clean up a bit, start dinner (if not completely cook it, then at least get it on its way), and change into a different outfit.  Knowing that when my wife gets home I have a “ritual” of following her and talking to her as she prepares for the evening helps as well.  Then I know it is time to eat, and then I do my relaxation or writing as needs to be done.  The weekends are a bit more lax, but still there is a modicum of scheduling that goes on.  My wife is very good at keeping me straight and making sure I do what needs to be done, and for that I must thank her.

     Then there is the concept of “personal medicine.”  While there is normal medication, which is what you take, personal medicine is what you do.  Not only does this include exercise and other things of the nature, but anything you do to help you relax, de-stress, or otherwise cope with whatever issue(s) you may be dealing with.  Besides writing I enjoy listening to music and playing video games.

     I know it may sound childish to be playing video games, but I prefer to think of it as “child-like.”  I can immerse myself into a world where I feel my actions matter and that I am literally in control of events within the context of the game.  Everyone has something different, for some it could be playing music, reading, watching a favourite television show or movie, almost anything can be personal medicine, and it is so important to recovery.

     I do believe in recovery, it is worth noting.  Regaining the ability to function and feel as though you are actively contributing to society is very important, and entirely possible for the vast majority of people with mental health issues.  No matter what else I am doing, I know with this blog I am contributing to society at large.

     How do you cope with stress?  What things do you call your own “personal medicine?”  Let me know in the comments below.

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment