Saturday 14 March 2015

Thoughts on therapy.



     I would imagine a lot of people are afraid of the idea of therapists.  The idea of allowing yourself to be so vulnerable to a complete stranger is very alien.  I have only had two therapists for any extensive amount of time; and both experiences are completely different.  During my first session with my therapist in the United States, she completed a rather comprehensive sort of evaluation that allowed her to recommend a diagnosis to the psychiatrist.  After that she dove right into problems I was currently having.

     Here in Canada, a much more basic evaluation was given, more as a general psychiatric and psychological history than anything else.  The next few sessions were a getting to know each other period where I didn’t talk much and answered her questions directly.  There was a great period of time in both instances where I needed to become comfortable with talking to them about my issues.  In both cases, there was very little talk about my past and instead a focus on how to deal with my current problems.

     I have been undergoing a form of therapy known as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), which has less of a focus on past trauma and instead focuses on the present and changing your thought-feeling interaction.  It is especially useful for people with anxiety or other issues dealing with irrational thoughts affecting moods.  My current therapist does most of the talking during our sessions.  Given my various issues this is not necessarily a bad thing.  It does, however, go to show that the pressure is not on you to talk if you don’t want to.  It can be beneficial to “interview” your therapist to see what types of therapy they offer, credentials, and other things important to you in a potential therapeutic partner.

     I am in a position where I cannot “shop” for a therapist, though it is recommended that you do so that you can find one that is right for you.  Generally therapy is not cheap, but keep in mind that there are usually options for those who cannot afford regular therapy costs, such as sliding scales, government-assisted payment, and non-profit organizations that help people with mental health conditions.  I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I do not have to pay for the therapy I receive; the trade-off is that I am limited to a very small circle of therapists I can see.  Even in my position, I still have the right to seek another therapist if this one does not meet my needs.

     Seeing some sort of therapist does not make a person any weaker.  Therapists are often nothing more than a sounding board or tool to get alternative ideas that you ordinarily would not have thought of on your own.  Often my therapist gives my thoughts validity and gives me the courage to actually do what I know needs to be done.  A therapist is just another, as mine would say, tool in your toolbox of mental health.

     What are your thoughts on therapy?  Do you see a therapist, do they work for you?  How long did it take for you to find one you liked?  What sorts of questions would be helpful while “interviewing” a new therapist?

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment