Monday 26 March 2018

Dealing with general anxiety (a short introduction to my experience)

I often get stressed about things and I don't understand why.  Even better than that, I often get stressed about things and I don't know that I am even stressed about anything in particular.  This leads to many things, including fatigue, anger, and general unrest.  This often comes out in my being particularly cantankerous at times.  I fully realize that I may need to focus on this and am mostly writing to brainstorm on what I can do differently to help recognize my triggers and how to deal with them in a healthy and productive way.

Perhaps I should look at things in reverse.  Perhaps I should notice when I am being particular on edge and stop and evaluate, in more detail, why I am feeling that particular way.  In the past this has been less than ideal because I would find something external to focus on as the trigger for my current issue instead of what was really bothering me.  This led to many arguments that could only be classified as extraneous.

One thing that seems to help is to have someone understanding who is able to "check" me.  That is, ask me why I'm upset and understand that my stated reason may not be the true reason.  Though, as understanding as she is she sometimes upset that I am not more able to identify my emotions and thoughts.  She touts "mindfulness," but I try.  The issue is my mind wanders, and I mean goes out for a walk to end no others.  So many thoughts occurring simultaneously in such a way that they are like fish swimming in a school:  hard to track down and catch a single one.

This is apparent in the way I write.  More free-form I suppose.

Anyway.  The way things are going right now, I know that I'm stressed about work (I've now got two jobs), but is that all?  I know right now I think I'm struggling with things emotionally, but I'm not sure how much of that is work, and how much of that is me going so long without "professional" support.  Perhaps a mixture of both?

I just know that I am lucky that the Universe has conspired to guide my actions in such a way that I wound up with my wife.  I could have theoretically wound up with her if things had gone ideally with university and other aspects of my life, but I would not be the person I am nor have the things I do.  It is a wonderful conspiracy to be sure.

I should probably end this bit of a rant before it becomes totally derailed.  I will write again soon with regards to what I am struggling with specifically.

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment