Monday 30 March 2015

Today I learned about positive self-talk.



     Today my therapist introduced me to the concept of “positive self-talk.”  According to her, this is the practice of, instead of focusing on the negative, talk through the positives.  For instance, I am often plagued by nightmares and wake in a confused state not sure where I am or what is going on.  Instead of focusing on how the dream made me feel; instead remind myself that it is over and that it cannot hurt me.  I am supposed to use this technique any time I begin my usual process of negative thoughts.

     This is in conjunction with a “thought record.”  This is a record of how I am feeling at a particular moment, what was happening at that moment, the negative thoughts that influenced my feelings, and more realistic thoughts that lead to (hopefully) a better set of feelings.  Ideally this is an actual physical record, though generally I don’t keep one around me at all times.

     These two things are “tools” in my so-called “toolkit.”  These are things that I can pull out and use when the negative and anxious thoughts begin to creep in.

     So how about you, what tools are in your toolkit?  Do you practice positive self-talk?

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment