Monday 23 March 2015

The importance of routine.



     Every weekday morning I wake around 7:15 AM, take my medication, and get ready for the day.  After returning for the day I wash the dishes and start dinner.  After eating I sit and attempt to write for at least an hour.  After writing I have about an hour’s free time before taking care of the cats and getting ready for bed.  I am usually in bed between 10:00 and 10:30 PM, and fall asleep around 11:00.

     Weekends are a bit more lax, in the waking time, but I still go to bed at about the same time.

     It is important to have a routine, especially with bipolar.  Routine keeps me stable; at least it helps.  I know I get very upset when my long time routine is disrupted; specifically when I am informed of plans at the “last minute.”  I need at least a week, preferably two, to process the plan and become okay with it.  This is partially due to a disruption in my schedule needing to be taken into account and worked around, but another large factor is the anxiety associated with change.

     Routine makes it harder to forget things like showering or taking medication.  Also, and perhaps most importantly, sleep routine regulates my mood.  If I stay awake all night (something I haven’t done in over a year) I almost certainly swing into a manic state.  Going hand in hand with this, I limit my caffeine intake to about two cups of coffee a day, in the morning, and no more throughout the day.  This gives me the little pick-me-up I seem to need in the morning without keeping me up at night.

     My wife helps me stay on track with my daily and weekly routines, making sure I do what is needed.  She also asks why I didn’t stick to my regimen.  Adhering to a strict schedule can be difficult at times, but I know it is what is needed to keep me well, and that is very important to me.

     What types of routine do you have?  How does it impact your life?

--JJM

No comments:

Post a Comment